Pakistan’s most famous and popular hill station is Murree, it is a mountainous area, forming part of the outer region of Himalayas and it is located at a comfortable altitude of about 7500 feet (2286 meters) in the Himalayan foothills.
Murree is located at the distance of about 50 kilometers north-eastern of Capital of Pakistan, Islamabad. The beautiful mountainous road from Rawalpindi and Islamabad leads us to the Murree. Recently in past few years, the road has been effectively made better for tourists.
The weather conditions have a great impact in Murree as it has four distinguishable seasons in the whole year.
In Spring (March and ends in the middle of May) maximum temperature during this period was observed between 12°C to 20°C and minimum between 4°C and 10°C. Moreover, in this particular season, heavy rains and hail storms happen commonly.
In the summer (June and end of August) the lowest temperature is observed between 13 and 6°C while highest is between 20°C and 25°C.
Autumn is the mild temperature season and clear sky could be seen in the area during autumn, when one can enjoy full view of peaks and hills around without cloud hindrance.
With the start of December heavy snowfall is a great scenic view of Murree. Murree and its surrounding areas are covered with thick sheet of snow during sonwfall. Talking about the temperature, it mostly drifts around the freezing point.
Murree is full of joys and full of attractions. There are various attractions and touring points in Murree, such as:
- There are various headquarters of 12th infantry divisions of Pakistan Army in Murree.
- There are army based educational and training institutions located at Upper Topa, Kuldana and Barain.
- There is Combined Military Hospital (CMH) which is established for providing health facilities to the people of Murree and adjacent areas.
- Pakistan Air Force has its one of base in Lower Topa.
- Murree Cantonment
- Murree Hills Cantonment
- Residence of Punjab Governor is also situated in Murree at the Kashmir Point. Its imposing building was built by British in 19th century.
Nearby Places to visit
Galliat region is adjacent to Murree which is North West Frontier Province. This region includes
Murree and Galiat have been part of same administrative unit including Rawalpindi District of Muzaffarabad before British invasion.
One must come here with family or friends. Its a watchable place, especially when it rains or when its snowfall. To enjoy snowfall it should be visited in December.